After doing quite a bit of preparation on the cupboards, picking out samples and deciding what we wanted to do with the kitchen remodel, it is finally time to start demolition. Since a lot of our friends and family have not seen our kitchen as it was, we took some BEFORE pictures.
For those of you who are wondering what was wrong with our kitchen, you have good reason to wonder. It was a very nice kitchen but when we get done, it will be even better. Let's just say we felt like it needed an update and the fact that there was carpet on the floor and that we inherited the cabinets for free, only led to one thing. REMODEL!
We started with the cupboards...ready set swing!
After tearing down the cupboards we discovered the condition of the wiring in our house. We knew that it needed help after experiencing many blackouts if we used more than 2 appliances at the same time. Needless to say I have been learning a lot about wiring and the need to update the electricity in our house. Aaron felt that for the safety of our home that we needed to Re-do the wiring in our house. Last year after we purchased the house we noticed that the wire running from the power poles was rubbing on the top of our garage roof and that we had bare wires. Being the handy man that Aaron is he dug a trench and with the help of his brother, who is electrically enclined, they buried the power line and replaced the low voltage wire with a higher voltage that would bring our house up to code. In addition to running new power the power boxes needed to be replaced. The switches in the power boxes were not labeled so if we needed to turn the power off we ended up playing a guessing game.
The before picture....and the after picture
In the process of doing the wiring we ended up tearing down some of the plaster walls! What a MESS!
For those of you who have been involved with a remodel job before, you know that there are lots of hidden treasures that you come across. Well, when it came time to tear up the carpet we found more surprises than we expected to find. We had guessed how many layers we would have to go through before we got to the original sub-floor. As you can tell from the pictures there were several layers we went through. Under the carpet there was laminate floor, than a sub-floor, than more tile laminate floor, and yet another sub-floor before the original tongue & groove sub-floor. After all that it was time to put down a new sub-floor before we get ready to prepare for a new tile floor.
Now some of you might be wondering what we are doing without a kitchen. It is definitely not the most convienent room in the house to remodel, but Aaron has done a good job at putting together a make-shift kitchen for us in the spare bedroom. He has also been able to salvage the sink for now as you probably noticed in the pictures above. The fridge is in the spare bedroom and the stove and dishwasher are currently parked in the front room.
Well, this is as far as we have gotten. I will try and keep more updates posted as we go along.
15 comments:
Wow! I can't wait to come over and see all the progress!
I am dumbfounded When I left two weeks ago only the desk area was torn apart. I can't believe that you are living in that state of...let's call it transition. Best of Luck with all of that.
Wow, the pictures make the whole story over the phone come to life. What was the time frame on this? I noticed no use of stove and diswasher. You'll be pros at improv by the time you're done, then you can come down and live in Grenada with us. Only 3 months and counting
Having been through a kitchen remodel with some minor wiring changes, I'd like to say I am VERY impressed with all the work you have done. (Not that I am surprised...you guys are quite handy.) Also...NICE make-shift kitchen. That is much better than our dishwashing in the bathroom sink we did when we did ours. Good luck. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Hey it's Katie Lange... I got to your blog through Gwen and Matt's... I am so bringing you dinner... in fact you can come over for dinner so you don't have to clean up anything... :) (I was doing dishes in the bath tub for a few weeks while we were doing your remodel, so if you need anything just run up!)
Oh my!! Looks like you are making some good progress!
Wow.... did you have lots of fun??? Looks like fun :)!!
Joleen Haag
Lish- Nothing like getting over dosed on eating out huh? I can't believe your make shift kitchen. And here I am complaining about my house. I can't wait to see the finish project. Lemme know if you need anything at all.
You know you have to clean that all up right? Have fun with that!:)
Happy messes! Wish I could bring you dinner!
WOW, I need to come over and take a wack, that has to be good for the soul right:) I can't wait to see the finished project as I thought the before was cute! Keep us updated with pictures, this is fun to watch:)
What a huge project! I can't wait to see the finished project! You guy have major skills:)
I can't believe I finally found you! I am so excited. I have looked for you for so long. Thought about writing your parents to find you many times. When I saw the pictures of Bear Lake it brought back fun memories. I can't wait to catch up with you. Email me at mrjoy@cox.net. Check out prettypenny.blogspot.com too. Miss you and you look absolutely fabulous and happy! Jenn (Bolander) Joy
I didn't know you guys had these talents, good to know... good to know....
Delic, looks like the fun home improvement project. I am sure that Aaron will work wonders on it like he made your yard look-- very very nice. Glad you found us. We were excited to read your blog and catch up on what was happening. ~John Vaterlaus
Post a Comment